ExpatsArabia.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Mother...my life!


It's my mother's 69th birthday! (Oooops! ...a secret revealed for the whole world to know... – hahaha Sorry Ma!) my children and I went to their place and brought food to celebrate her special day. I forgot to bring the card that I bought many, many years back. It was a particular time in both our lives when we were not exactly the best of friends. I remember buying the card at Goodwill Bookstore in Makati and that my thoughts were to keep that card and give it to my mom when the time is right. The right time, I felt, was when my mom and I agree on most things, no more hurts only love and forgiveness. I think more than half of my mother's life was spent worrying about me, getting angry with me and wondering how in high heavens she could turn me into a normal, subservient and responsible daughter. I was a rebellious daughter and my mom, without probably realising it, could hurt me to the core with her very words. Thankfully after decades of animosity and useless pride, I could finally say that we have made our peace!

To my beloved mother, the grandmother of my children, my “better-late-than-never” best friend Happy Happy Birthday! And to give tribute to the role you played in our lives, may this beautiful poem by Helen Steiner Rice be able to tell you what I am unable to….

A MOTHER'S LOVE

A Mother's love is something that no one can explain,
It is made of deep devotion and of sacrifice and pain,
It is endless and unselfish and enduring come what may.
For nothing can destroy it or take that love away . . .

It is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
And it never fails or falters even though the heart is breaking . . .
It believes beyond believing when the world around condemns,
And it glows with all the beauty of the rarest, brightest gems . . .
It is far beyond defining,it defies all explanation,
And it still remains a secret like the mysteries of creation . . .
A many splendoured miracle man cannot understand
And another wondrous evidence of God's tender guiding hand.

~Helen Steiner Rice~

No comments: